So, you’ve booked a hog roast machine and ordered that spectacular whole hog for your hog roast in Hertfordshire. But have you decided how exactly you are going to serve it up? There are hundreds of different ways to enjoy spit roasted pork, but for us, the classic pork roll with apple sauce truly never fails to delight. Here’s a look at how to produce that classic recipe:
Slow-roast Hog Rolls with Chilli-apple Jam
Ingredients (serves 6-8):
For the whole hog seasoning
- olive oil
- fennel seeds
- thyme leaves
For the chilli-apple jam
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions
- 1-2 deseeded red chillis, finely chopped
- 4 apples, peeled and cut into chunks
- 4 tbsp cider vinegar
- 4 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 sprig of thyme
- Prepare your hog roast by generously applying olive oil combined with thyme leaves and fennel seeds, inside and out. Slow cook on your hog roast machine.
- Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a large saucepan and add the onions and chillis. Softening together for between 10-15 minutes. Once soft, add the apple chunks, sugar and vinegar along with 50ml of water.
- Cook on a low heat for approx. 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until very soft.
- Blend half the apple mixture with a hand blender or using a food processor. Whizzing until smooth. Then, add back to the pan along with a sprig of thyme.
- You can serve this jam warm or cold on top of your shredded hog roast meat, in warm buttered bread rolls. Serve with freshly roast potato wedges seasoned with herbs and sea salt. Absolutely delicious!
Do you think this recipe sounds good? Use an online recipe multiplier to get the quantities you’d need to feed all the guests at your next big party or corporate event – whether that’s forty or four hundred hungry mouths to feed!