If you are new to hiring a lawyer and have no idea what questions to ask them, what things to look out for and what to prioritize, the following list will make the task easier. Though there are several very diligent, trustworthy and reliable lawyers out there who do their work honestly, there are many who scam clients too. In order to ensure you are not conned by an inconsistent, inexperienced and unprofessional lawyer, ensure that you ask the following questions. Also, assess the answers to be able to reach a well-informed decision.
- The very first question you must ask the lawyer you are meeting with is the level of experience they have. An experienced lawyer will deal with you properly with advised protocol. The kind of lawyer you will be given by the firm depends immensely on the kind of case that needs handling. Often, cases that are not too grave are given to young lawyers. However, if you are not content with this decision, ensure to lay it out to the firm.
- Ask the lawyer you are meeting with if they have handled a case like yours before. It is not important that a lawyer with a lot of experience will be able to handle your case. It is important for the lawyer to have some kind of familiarization the case you have brought to them. If you feel dissatisfied with their ability to grapple your case, keep looking for more.
- Sometimes, it is not enough for a lawyer to just have studied law as a subject. If they lack proper training in the practical field, then the number of degrees they hold to their name make no difference. Ensure you ask the lawyer you are meeting with if they have undergone any distinct training. It is also important that the lawyer you are considering has worked with a professional senior. If not, say no and move on.
- If your lawyer is asking you for full payment up front, hold on for a second and ask a few questions. Your lawyer should not ask for more than a certain percentage before the case starts. A good, experienced and professional lawyer will not ask you for full payment unless he satisfies his client with the job he is doing. Keep looking for a lawyer who is willing to meet you half way financially.
- Even if you do not understand how the field of law works, it is still important to ask this question. Ask your lawyer through what procedure they plan on approaching your case. Though you lack experience in the field, the way they explain your case to you will clearly state whether their approach is practical, plausible or doable. If you feel they lack an understanding, do not submit.
- Most of the time lawyers know what the end of a certain case would be. Be very clear when asking your lawyer which direction he thinks your case will go into. An honest lawyer will tell you his positive and negative anticipations from the very start. He will also try and come up with practical solutions to the things seem sketchy. However, if the lawyer you are meeting with seems clueless in the matter, move on.
With this, you are guaranteed to find a good lawyer, eventually.
Samantha Jones is the writer of the article above. She refers her readers to experienced professionals like DJP Solicitors. She uses their cases to demonstrate examples thoroughly.