Okay let’s be honest, there really aren’t that many “shortcuts” to smooth, blemish free skin. But here’s what there are – several small habits that improve skin health. So get settled because here they are!
Factor in the Sun Protection
You need to make SPF your best friend starting today. Any product with an SPF 15 or higher is ideal – whether it’s included in your moisturizer, lip balm or makeup products like concealer and foundation– use it! Why? Because:
- UV rays degenerate skin cells over time
- UV rays cause premature aging as the skin loses its elasticity and ability to repair itself
Since the sun is everywhere and not just at the beach (shocking I know!), you’re guaranteed to be exposed to these harmful rays. So before you step out of the house, make sure that you’ve applied an SPF product to protect the skin on your face and neck.
Step 1- Buy a face cleanser specific to your skin type – sensitive, dry, oily, acne prone etc.
- Do it a little research on the company before you buy their product. Makeup companies are known for their skin (and wallet) friendly products such as tinted moisturizers by e.l.f.
Step 2- Make it a part of your daily routine to wash your face with it. Use it at least once a day if not twice.
- The ideal times to use a cleanserare before bedtime and after you wake up.
Make sure it is a cleanser that contains some gentle active ingredients that will nourish your skin such as:
- Fruit extract like mango, coconut, grape or avocado
- A hydrating agent such as aloe or sunflower oil
This is something you cannot and should not compromise on. I’ll admit not everyone has time to do a whole moisturizing routine every time they shower, but you can devote 2 minutes to your face.
- It’s best to hydrate the skin after a shower and before bed. If you can’t manage both, make sure you don’t skip moisturizing before bed because while you sleep, the skin works to rejuvenate itself.
Key ingredients in a moisturizer should be Vitamins E, C and B.
If you find that regular moisturizer makes your face feel heavy or just plain icky, try an aqua based lotion or an aloe gel instead. You’ll get all the benefits of natural moisturizer without the oiliness of cream.
You can moisturize your skin from the inside too! Make absolutely sure you’re drinking no less than 1.7 liters of water a day. It really will do wonders.
Exfoliate, Look Great
To exfoliate is to remove dead skin from the body to promote the growth of healthier, cleaner skin. Exfoliators are face washes that have granules in them. These granules rub against your skin, making all the dead cells come off.
- You should exfoliate your face at least 3-4 times a week
- There countless exfoliating products that you can easily find in a drugstore but you can also make one yourself!
- Simply create a mixture such as honey and sugar and use it like you would a regular face wash
Invest in the Best
A sad fact of life is that as we grow older so do our organs, hair and skin. Aging is a naturally process and though it’s probably not wise to fight it, you can still age gracefully. How? With the help of tried and true skin products of course. Now I know there hundreds and thousands of products out there for the skin but what you should look for are:
- Collagen boosting creams
- These creams should contain ingredients such as retinol and Vitamins E and C
- They will help to keep your skin elastic and firm
- Anti-bacterial/acne fighting products
- These products should contain ingredients like salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide, tea tree, sulfur and clindamycin
- They get rid of dead skin cells, clean your pores and prevent bacteria from creating pimples
Fake It Till You Make It
Remember when I said there were no shortcuts to flawless skin? Well, that’s not entirely true. There are several quick (but temporary) fixes to skin blemishes like puffy eyes, dull skin and redness.
- Puffy eyes – buy gel pads that you can keep in the fridge. Then simply place them over your eyes for 2-3 minutes and voila! Puffiness reduced successfully.
- Redness – drink a cup of chamomile tea or use corrective concealer over the area
- Dull skin – is your skin is lacking that dewy glow? No problem! Put a little color into your cheeks by going for a short run or use a jump rope for 5 minutes.
- You can always turn to makeup – BB creams and blush can help create glowing skin
Skin care is just as important to the body as exercise, so don’t overlook it. Actively nourish and keep your face looking radiant and healthy.