Never underestimate the opportunity to spend New Year’s Eve with your family. It’s a great way to bond, have fun together and experience the New Year with your loved ones. Here are some good ways to spend quality time with your family this New Years
Cook a Great Meal
This is the night to have all the food that you and your family may not normally make at home to due expense or effort. Eating out on New Year’s Eve is often expensive, so this is a good excuse to splurge a little more on a home-cooked meal. Ask family members to contribute their skills and resources to help turn it into a massive feast. A tip would be to delegate as well. Assign each person the responsibility of a different task, recipe or course. Various food choices could include seafood, fish or vegetarian options. Don’t forget fresh salads and maybe tapas type dishes to keep the food in a varied manner.
Decide things to do together
There are plenty of things to spend fun time doing together on New Year’s Eve, depending on where you live and the climate you’re in. Such activities include:
- Taking a walk together as a family – this is a particularly good suggestion if you’re in a warmer climate; perhaps a walk on a beach, or a local park or street? If you’re in a colder climate, wrap up and head for favourite walking spots that aren’t difficult to navigate in the cold and dark. Sharing a walk together can be a great chance to share things that might not be discussed when just sitting around the house.
- Food/drink tasting – try a wine, champagne, beer or a chocolate or other tasting events that take place in the evening.
- Play board games – set up a major board games night! You could have some cool prizes up for grabs for winners, as well as lots of delicious snacks and drinks. Make sure to include games that all age ranges can enjoy.
Create a New Year’s Resolution Together
Get everyone in a circle and ask everyone to announce their New Year’s resolutions. Many people like making new resolutions for the coming year, but don’t push too hard if someone wants to keep theirs a secret.
Find the Right Place
As winter draws it’s easy to put off those big buying decisions, but don’t forget to ensure you’re in the right place altogether. It could be you’ve outgrown your home or you’d like somewhere located better for you. Either way, speak to an estate agent to understand what your options are.
Keep an Eye on the Clock
Try to think up a great idea for the countdown and plan it in advance. Choose something that rings in the New Year properly and let your neighbours know you’re having more fun than they are! Several suggestions are:
- Light sparklers, drum bongo drums, yelling “Happy New Year” as loudly as possible all together, beep your car horn or even dance and cheer in the garden!
- Open a bottle of champagne to share with the rest of the family at midnight. Kids, teenagers and toddlers can enjoy other sparkling alternatives.
- Gaze at the fireworks! If you can spot nearby fireworks, sit together and watch them from home.
And finally don’t forget to kiss your significant other or date at midnight! If you’re not romantically attached, a simple kiss on the cheek to someone you care about will do the trick.